Community Education 2018
Hello, my name is Earleen Lloyd, and I am the new Community Education Director here at the Haines Borough School District. We have lots of exciting new programs and clubs getting started this school year! We are working with and partnering with organizations and individuals to provide expanded programming this season. On our schedule for October and November we have:
1. Mystery and Mayhem Book Club – M & M for short…Sundays 2:00-4:00 p.m. The Maltese Falcon October 21st first meeting
2. Master Strategist Club -Chess and other Strategy games Mondays 6:00-8:00 p.m. All skill levels welcome. Come share your skills and sharpen your strategy. Bring your game!!!
3. Walk-fit Sunday 4:00-9:30 p.m. through Thursday 7:00-9:30 p.m. If you want to get serious we can help you walk with a purpose, take your beginning measurements, BMI, walking basics, importance of shoes, nutritional help from Lisa Schartz, proper hydration, and many more important topics. We will meet 30 minutes a week to update your stats and get good walking tips and the rest is up to you to do at your leisure. Bring a friend or your favorite tunes and have fun! This class is free.
4. Open Gym & Weight Room - Monday through Thursday week nights 7:30-9:30 p.m. Open gym has monthly tournaments, be sure to join one. VolleyBall tournament November 24th 10:00 am.
5. Indoor Soccer Tuesdays 7:00-8:30 p.m. Subject to change as the small gym may be needed for school activities.
6. Chicks \/\/ Sticks Club- Tuesdays 6:30-8:30 p.m. If you like to knit, crochet, embroider, come sit with the people who are actually getting things done! Come finish your project and start a new one with friends who have something in common.
7. Come November we will start Card Magic Clubs- Magic, Bridge, Pinochle as well as other traditional games. These will be held on Sundays.
8. The illustrious Mr. Matt Davis will assist in putting together a Community Band next meeting is Oct. 25th we have 14 members and looking for more!
Club fees and Open gym classes are $2 for adults and $1 for High school students. Liability waivers must be signed by everyone using the facility this year.
Class fees vary per teacher. If you would like to rent a room to teach a class, call me to reserve the room best suited to your needs. Class instructors will set their own rates. Call me at 766-6727 leave a message or come see me at the Community Ed Room 123 across from the HS Band Room.
We have need of drawing and painting teachers, beginning yoga, quilting, sewing, Quick books, car care/maintenance, how to set up and use a blog, refinishing furniture, wills, estate planning, dance classes, these can be one day classes or once a week.
We will be starting a Beads & Braids Club if there is interest. I can teach a class on budgeting, debt management and how to improve your credit score if any of you are interested.
If you have any requests for classes or have a skill or hobby you would like to share please give me a call. In any case come on down and say hello, join a club, or learn a new skill. I look forward to meeting you!
There is lots of room at the school let’s have fun this winter! Sincerely, Earleen Lloyd